Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have so numerous scientific advancements and brand-new techniques emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy ads about a particular laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can injure you.
4. Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional will not tell you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the read this risk of receiving less than expert care!
7. Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. Each client gets a slightly various outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any like it physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for most people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.